Thursday, December 6, 2007

"Piano-Playing Janitor Turns Professional"

from dailyrecord.co.uk - by John Ferguson

A Janitor overheard playing piano during his break will quit cleaning tomorrow to become a professional musician.

Aleksander Kudajczyk has played to sell-out crowds since his talent was discovered in June and he has been invited to play for former US president Bill Clinton.

The Glasgow University jannie's life changed when he was spotted on a webcam playing Chopin on a piano in the university chapel.

Aleksander, who came to Scotland from Katowice, Poland, in January, played to sell-out crowds at Glasgow's West End Festival.

Next year, he will play at a benefit for Bill Clinton's Aids Foundation in Marrakesh, Morocco.

And when a major record label expressed an interest, he decided to quit his £100-a-week cleaning job. Aleksander, 28, who took up piano aged four and graduated from Katowice's Akademia Muzyczna, said: "I always wanted to be a pianist.

"Now I am leaving my cleaning job to play full time - I have a chance to achieve my dreams. I have played recitals and recorded music for a film.

"I found my first pupil, so I am a teacher now, and a record company in London has shown an interest."

No comments: